Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mice


title: Mice
Author: Gordon Reece
Published: Allen and Unwin 2010

Shelley and her mother are mice by nature. they have been bullied their whole lives and in a desperate attempt to escape they move to an isolated cottage in the country. they think they will be safe there, but trouble has a way of finding you. Even Mice have a breaking point.
a mind twisting, electrifying thriller.

Quick Review
i was expecting a typical adventure, thriller story. this wasn't. the boundary between good and evil characters was broken, i had never realised how much i relied on that basic idea. it has the gore, horror, violence and action typical of a thriller, but the interesting part of this story is the psychological side. the journey in Shelley mind is the interesting, in many parts Confronting aspect of Mice. the story shows the effect of violence and it is disgusting, but so fascinating.

Babble
i really thought mice was a good read, but not in an enjoyable way. there was one point where i wanted to stop reading, it was really bothering me, but i had to finish. i found it really confronting, the ideas of violence and personal character were new, even if i don't agree with all of Shelley's views. in the moments where good and evil almost swap places i was shocked, horrified almost. like watching Of Mice and Men almost or The Kite Runner.

Shelley was quite an annoying character, very weak. i still felt sorry for her. while she was always reliant, she had been a victim of great violence. the transformation towards the end was satisfying. the ending was average in general, it was all to sudden and neatly tied up for me. i feel if had been part of the story i would never had recovered that fast. i did think that the change in the character of Shelley and her mother was good to see in a literary and personal sense.

the book was written to build suspense and Reece certainly managed that. the interesting thing about the writing was how in some parts it seem to be told from the present, in past tense, but some bits were like Shelley was remembering it, recounting it later in life. it flowed seamlessly, but had an interesting affect.

a decent book, worth reading, especially on a psychological level.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Mice has a creepy cover! ( :

What book launches have you been to?

Romi.x

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I just wanted to let you know that I've got a competitiion going on my blog and have just extended it for an extra week- I hope you take a look and enter! Here's the link-

http://thedreamytree.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-giveaway-winner-of-bunny-earrings.html

And it would be fantastic if you wouldn't mind spreading the word about it?
Thank YOU! And thank you for following my blog! It means the world to me!
Romi.xxx

Anonymous said...

(You've kind of entered by the way- not sure if you wanted me to count your entry though...?)

Danielle Zappavigna said...

Sounds like confronting but good reading :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and just because fours are good (not really, I just wanted to ask you something.) here's another comment.
I would be honoured if you'd consider reviewing one of my zines- I've written a post explaining it all, and here's a link-

http://wherethewritercomestowrite.blogspot.com/2011/10/want-free-copy-of-my-book-to-review-i.html

You only need to fill out the info and I'll get in touch, if you're interested! ( :
Romi.x

Anonymous said...

( :
Ooh, that sounds great! I'm hoping to get to a few more in the future, but there aren't many here.
Thank you! The competition ends on Monday, just so you know! ( : I'm in love with Lucky Cats at the moment, sadly I can't enter my own competitions! ( :
Oh, do you like moustaches? Random question, I know.
Brilliant! when I get your review request, I'll make the zine ASAP!
I'll let you know if I ever read Mice!
Romi.xxx

Anonymous said...

No problem- I'm pleased you didn't enter it just for the point of it! Thanks for being so honest!
Romi.x