Saturday, September 29, 2012

Just a Girl

Title: Just a Girl
Author: Jane Caro
First Published: may 2011 by university of Queensland press

I do not remember when I discovered how my mother died, it seems to be something I always knew, a horror I absorbed through my skin.

Determined, passionate and headstrong, Elizabeth I shaped the destiny of a kingdom.

Her mother; Anne Boleyn, was executed by her father Henry VIII. From that moment on, Elizabeth competed with her two half-siblings for love and for Britain’s throne. In the gilded corridors of the royal palace, enemies she couldn’t see – as well as those bound to her by blood – plotted to destroy her.

Using her courage to survive and her wits to confound those who despised her, this young woman became one of the greatest monarchs the world has ever seen.

Even though she was just a girl, she had already lived a lifetime

(blurb from goodreads) 

Quick Review
plot is brilliant and Elizabeth is a intriguing characters, but the suspense and tension needed was't there. The writing was good, but the past tense narration made it seem a bit anti-climatic.  

Ramble Review
i love a good historical novel, and the english monarchy around the Elizabethan Era was full of scandal and drama, making it perfect for a novel. it started well, with Elizabeth looking back over hr life the night before her coronation. From the very beginning Elizabeth was an interesting character, very insightful. unfortunately choosing to write the novel in this reflective, past tense style wasn't the best choice. there were many great dramas in Elizabeth's life, but the wisdom of her narration made it seem like nothing was really happening. I kept waiting for 'something to happen' even when people were dying or fighting. 

One thing I did love was the atmosphere. This is hard to describe, but it was perfect. The writing was very tight. the feeling created, and the settings were not only believable but fascinating. 

Over all it's a shame the exception of plot let the book down, because it had such potential. definitely worth reading it you like historical fiction or have an interest in the British royalty. 

1 comment:

Cass said...

I love historical fiction, but the ones that are set in this time/place have a tendency not to work with me. I'm still intrigued though. Thanks for the review!